Who’s the best CEO in America?
According to compensation, culture and career monitoring website Comparably’s latest survey, among large companies, it’s billionaire tech businessman-philanthropist Marc Benioff, CEO of customer relationship management and cloud services company, Salesforce.com.
“As the original founder of Salesforce he has a deep connection with the product and employees that uniquely inspires his team,” says Jason Nazar, CEO of Comparbly. “Besides continuing to grow a massively successful public company, he’s been a dynamic leader and consistent voice of company culture issues.”
One of those issues has been closing the gender pay and promotion and gap, an issue that has been top of mind given the large number of sexual harassment allegations coming to light in entertainment, politics and business. Benioff pledged to close the gap in 2015 and by early 2017 Salesforce said it had achieved equal pay, promotion and opportunity for female employees.
Second in Comparbly's ranking is Brian Halligan, CEO of marketing software company HubSpot. Shares of the company have risen to above $80 a share from an initial offering price of $25 in 2014. Like Benioff, Halligan is also considered a philanthropist, notably giving $1.6 million to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
"HubSpot has some of the best overall ratings on Comparably across all categories, and stands out as a company whose employees are deeply engaged and passionate about their corporate mission," Nazar said.
Women CEOs who made the large-company list included General Motors CEO Mary Barra (No. 29) and Julie Sweet (No. 33), CEO of consulting and professional services company Accenture - North America. Among smaller companies, three women, Cyndi Barreda (No. 9), of NetCentrics, Christine Crane (No. 21) of BoldLeads and Lisa Harp (No. 29) of Harp Interactive made the list.
Overall, the top-ranked CEO among small-to-midsize companies was Sameer Dholakia of SendGrid, a cloud-based email services company.
The lists below represent the Best-ranked CEOs by their employees on Comparably.com. The CEOs are ranked, with No. 1 representing the highest-scored CEO. The rankings are separated by large (500 or more employees) and small-to-midsize (less than 500 employees).
Best CEOs, small- and mid-sized companies
1. Sameer Dholakia, SendGrid, Denver
2. Timo Rein, Pipedrive, New York
3. Harry Glaser, Periscope Data, San Francisco
4. Matthew Gonnering, Widen Enterprises, Madison, Wisc.
5. Gavan Thorpe, Boostability, Lehi, Utah
6. Howard Brown, RingDNA, San Francisco
7. Chris Ovitz/Reed Shaffner, Workpop, Santa Monica, Calif.
8. Giuseppe Incitti, SiteTraker, Palo Alto, Calif.
9. Cyndi Barreda, NetCentrics, Herndon, Va.
10. Kirk Simpson, Wave Financial, Toronto
11. Matt Westgate, Lullabot, Providence, R.I.
12. Yuri Sagalov, Redbooth, Palo Alto, Calif.
13. Bob Ruffolo, IMPACT Branding & Design, Wallingford, Conn.
14. Bob Pritchett, Faithlife, Bellingham, Wash.
15. Alexander Austin, Branch Metrics, Palo Alto, CA
16. Rob Vandenberg, Lingotek, Lehi, Utah
17. Hadi Partovi, Code.org, Chandler, Ariz.
18. Alan Rich, Chrome River, Los Angeles
19. Nick Francis, Help Scout, Boston
20. Marc Hawk, RevLocal, Granville, Ohio
21. Christine Crane, BoldLeads, Chandler, Ariz.
22. Cody Sperber, Clever Investor, Tempe, Ariz.
23. Mark Leck, The REDX, Orem, Utah
24. Daniel Vetras, Kollective Technology, Bend, Ore.
25. Ariel Cohen, TripActions, Menlo Park, Calif.
26. Brian Lacey, Mobomo, Vienna, Va.
27. Sam Shank, HotelTonight, San Francisco
28. Paul Brady, Unitrends, Burlington, Mass.
29. Lisa Harp, Harp Interactive, Lombard, Ill.
30. Marcus Cobb, Jammber, Chicago
31. Dave Crumby, Realvolve, Raleigh, N.C.
32. Kirill Evdakov, Fasten, Boston
33. Tom Seery, RealSelf, Seattle, Wash.
34. Jon Bischke, Entelo, San Francisco
35. Lior Div, Cybereason, Boston
36. Ben Peterson, BambooHR, Lindon, Utah
37. Larry Gadea, Envoy, San Francisco
38. Mikita Mikado, PandaDoc, San Francisco
39. Charles Ramsey, Sauce Labs, San Francisco
40. John Benson, Verisys, Alexandria, Va.
41. Erick Joseph, Renaissance Electronic Services, Indianapolis
42. Karl Mehta, EdCast, Mountain View, Calif.
43. Brent Bellm, Bigcommerce, Austin, Texas
44. Amrinder Arora, BizMerlin, Vienna, Va.
45. Fred Maglione, OmegaFi, Columbus, Ga.
46. Flint Lane, Billtrust, Trenton, N.J.
47. Jeff Tench, New Signature, Washington, D.C.
48. Ashwin Navin, Samba TV, San Francisco
49. Sean Kelly, SnackNation, Los Angeles
50. Vivek Mehra, ParqEx, Chicago
Best CEOs, large companies
1. Marc Benioff, SalesForce, San Francisco
2. Brian Halligan, HubSpot, Cambridge, Mass.
3. Brad Smith, Intuit, Mountain View, Calif.
4. Jeff Weiner, LinkedIn, Mountain View, Calif.
5. Satya Nadella, Microsoft, Redmond, Wash.
6. John Pope, Jive Communications, Orem, Utah
7. Hisayuki Idekoba, Indeed, Austin, Texas
8. Adam Miller, Cornerstone OnDemand, Santa Monica, Calif.
9. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook, Menlo Park, Calif.
10. Spencer Rascoff, Zillow, Seattle
11. Reed Hastings, Netflix, Los Gatos, Calif.
12. Glenn Johnson, Insight Global, Atlanta
13. Sundar Pichai, Google, Mountain View, Calif.
14. Alex Shootman, Workfront, Lehi, Utah
15. Tim Cook, Apple, Cupertino, Calif.
16. Shantanu Narayen, Adobe, San Jose, Calif.
17. Mark Clemens, Golden Hippo Media, Woodland Hills, Calif.
18. Aneel Bhusri, Workday, Pleasanton, Calif.
19. John Legere, T-Mobile, Bellevue, Wash.
20. Richard D. Fairbank, Capital One, Mclean, Va.
21. Stewart Butterfield, Slack, San Francisco
22. Aaron Skonnard, Pluralsight, Farmington, Utah
23. Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan Chase, New York
24. Jensen Huang, NVIDIA, Santa Clara, Calif.
25. Jeff Bezos, Amazon, Seattle
26. Jim Whitehurst, Red Hat, Raleigh, N.C.
27. Alan Trefler, Pegasystems, Cambridge, Mass.
28. Craig Jelinek, Costco, Issaquah, Wash.
29. Mary T. Barra, General Motors, Detroit
30. Lew Cirne, New Relic, San Francisco
31. Willam McDermott, SAP, Newton Square, Penn.
32. R. Milton Johnson, HCA Holdings, Nashville
33. Julie Sweet, Accenture - North America, New York
34. Pat Gelsinger, VMware, Palo Alto, Calif.
35. Jack Dorsey, Square, San Francisco
36. Mikkel Svane, Zendesk, San Francisco
37. Gene Hall, Gartner, Stamford, Conn.
38. Dan Rosensweig, Chegg, Santa Clara, Calif.
39. Brian Chesky, Airbnb, San Francisco
40. Kenneth Lamneck, Insight, Tempe, Ariz.
41. Brad Jackson, Slalom Consulting, Seattle
42. Omar Ishrak, Medtronic, Minneapolis
43. Michael Bloomberg, Bloomberg, New York
44. Niraj Shah, Wayfair, Boston
45. Brandon Beck, Riot Games, Los Angeles
46. Logan Green, Lyft, San Francisco
47. Robert Iger, Walt Disney, Burbank, Calif.
48. Chuck Robbins, Cisco, San Jose, Calif.
49. Edward Stack, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Coraopolis, Penn.
50. Zander Lurie, SurveyMonkey, San Mateo, Calif.